Tuesday, October 13, 2009

progress for the sake of progress....

Bubba's been doing great in so many areas lately. And I even had Parent/Teachers conferences yesterday to prove it.
His speech has been so great lately I can understand 50-60% of what he says most of the time. Maybe more some days. It's constantly growing. The other night we were getting ready for bed. His sister had crazy hair after taking out her pony tail. He looked over at her and said "Sister has Crazy hair, she's having a bad hair day!". This kid is hilarious! I didn't know where he even learned that phrase until I told his teacher and she died laughing.....she always talks about having a bad hair day at school. (yeah right, she's beautiful!)

He's potty training continuously now. He's been able to go potty for at least a year now, but hasn't wanted to. So we've been patient and waited until he was ready. With his teachers help we started it back up when school started. We've gone a little back and forth the last couple of weeks when he decided he was fed up with it. There's not really any "making" an autistic child use the potty. All I can do is bribe and praise him. Which is currently working. Bubba loves praise. We'll see how it continues to go. I'd love him to be trained by Christmas.

He is doing great in school. He's in a PPCD program thru the local ISD.(Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities) So they work on millions of things that are getting him ready for kindergarden next year! He's doing great with writing, spelling, letters, numbers, shapes and colors.
He absolutely loves the computer. He plays on it at school and they said he totally knows how to navigate the mouse after one try! I'm impressed.

I'm just so glad that he seems to be on the same academic level as typical children. We are having to work on attention and other issues that he'll have when entering kinder....so we'll see how this year continues.

Here's a recent picture....he just said, "daddy, I'm sick." and my hubs turned around to see this! I love this boy!!

No comments: