Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Slowing down, Gods will for us. {Guest Post}

STAYING STILL

When I read the Bible verse from Psalms 46:10a “Be Still and Know that I Am God” it stops me dead in my tracks.
Do I stay still long enough to hear God’s voice throughout the day? Do I stay still long enough to meditate on His Word when I am reading it?

What best describes me is “One who is constantly going.”

I am a Mom of 4 teenagers….. Need I say more? 2 just started College and 2 are in High School. My son who is a freshman in High School plays ice hockey team and my daughter who is a senior in High School is a cheerleader and plays basketball.

As if being a mom of 4 teenagers isn’t enough…. I work full time and take care of the daily household what nots that are needed. I am sure you know the routine….. grocery shopping… cooking… laundry… house cleaning… etc.  Time is not something that I have a lot of. I have learned to say “No” to things so that I don’t overwhelm myself but I still find myself to be more of a Martha than a Mary. You know…. that story in Luke 10:38-42.

~ Now it happened as they went that He centered a certain village; and a certain woman named Matha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.” And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.” ~

I can hear my Lord saying the same thing to me….. “Anne, Anne, You are worried and troubled about many things.”

But what I think is key and the most important and is easy to miss is where He says “But one thing is needed.”  We need to slow down so that we can sit at His feet and listen to Him. We need to be spending that quality time in His word.
The funny thing is that when I do this….. I am always replenished. I am nourished and filled. This is the place where I want to be.  That’s where the “Be Still and Know that I Am God” comes in. Every relationship takes quality time to develop.  Whether it’s with our spouses…. our kids…. a family member…. or a friend. We have to spend time in that relationship.

I challenge you to sit down and to “Be Still.” To listen to what God wants to say to you today.


To read more of Anne head over to Lessons Thru Life

No comments: